This friend and his family have 4 collies so I chose the collie portrait for the center. I FMQ'd descriptions of collies around the panel. I didn't want all of the white (which is around the collie) to be the center block, so I used my background fabric. Cut it to the size of the square I needed; cut out the oval for the portrait; put batting and backing on the square; I used iron-on binding around the edge and then sewed it down on both edges. I then put the dark border around the center panel. I have two more rows of burst blocks to add, one on top and one on the bottom.
The Burst Block was created by the young man on Man Sewing. He and Jenny (MSQC) have a video out making this block using his template ruler. The first block I did, did not come out right so watched the video again and realized that I was not placing the bottom of the ruler in the correct position. Once corrected, the blocks went just fine. They finish at 10".
Because the pieces are on the bias for this block, I used spray starch on them. Worked just fine. Matching the angle pieces was a bit daunting. Got them ALMOST matching and then used Micron permanent marker to fill in.